Thursday, January 28, 2010

Beginnings of the Fellowship Series






I'm competing for a fellowship that could help me leave the city but maintain a studio regimen. These are the beginnings of the show that will make a visual argument for my case.













The drawings and paintings I make reflect an irrepressible curiosity about the nature of my relationship to my environment. My exploration of various ways to discover and express this relationship, through visual as well as written language, began when I moved from coastal Maine to Center-City Philadelphia. I constantly wonder how much of my artistic voice may be attributed to the incessant stimulus of the city, where this voice first emerged, and how the visual logic of my work would be different should it develop or grow in a quieter or rural environment.























1 comment:

  1. Looks to me like your break in Maine did wonders for your work. You've made some kind of leap in the interim. I love the mapping qualities. Keep it going girl! And good luck with the fellowship application

    ReplyDelete