Saturday, August 1, 2015

Wash

Wash.  July 2015.  8' x 2' acrylic on maple.
This session was total therapy.  I have been thinking a lot about what it taught me of the creative process.

Twas the last night of some needed solitude in a beautiful Mars Hill, NC house on a hill facing the burning summer sunset.  I began shortly after dinner and rode the wave of easy inspiration until the last lines trickled out at 3am.  When I stepped away, body tired and relaxed, I had the pleasure of seeing the whole for the first time.  I am still in awe of the creative process: how it is possible to drop so far inside the work of one's senses that the analytical brain turns off.  In this space, it is the belief in the joy of the experience that guides the work.  It is a reboot for the whole system, like losing oneself in any other practice, and when one steps back from the experience, and the ego turns on again, the moment is rich with awe and near disbelief of the places we went while we weren't consulting our map or double checking ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment